Brooklyn Premises Liability Lawyers
When you get injured on someone else’s property in Brooklyn, you need an experienced attorney to guide you through your premises liability lawsuit. Your premises liability lawyer will need to prove negligence by the defendant with a “preponderance of the evidence,” which is often more complex in premises liability cases than in other personal injury lawsuits like car accidents.
When a property owner fails to maintain safe conditions for customers or visitors, call our Brooklyn premises liability lawyers at Ross & Hill. Our attorneys have nearly 40 years of experience in premises liability and personal injury law. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our premises liability lawyers in Brooklyn, NY.
How Our Premises Liability Lawyers Can Help After an Injury
Our law firm has helped hundreds of clients recover millions of dollars in damages for their injuries in the years we’ve served the people of New York City. A personal injury lawyer in Brooklyn from our firm can:
- Gather evidence for your case and supporting documentation like medical records and expert witness testimony
- Find liable parties responsible for your injuries to file claims within the statute of limitations
- Represent you and give statements on your behalf with insurance adjusters or city officials (if your accident occurred on government property)
- Build an argument against the defense to prove the four parts of negligence (duty, breach of duty, causation, losses)
- Negotiate a settlement for fair compensation for the true value of your losses
We offer free consultations and work on contingency, meaning you never pay out-of-pocket fees for our services. Instead, we receive payment through your final settlement.
What Compensation Is Available for Premises Liability Cases?
Our Brooklyn premises liability lawyers can help you pursue appropriate damages for your injuries and other losses. What are damages in a personal injury lawsuit? Damages are monetary awards to compensate you for losses from an accident due to someone else’s negligence.
In a premises liability lawsuit, damages can be economic or non-economic. The court may also award punitive damages to punish the offender for gross negligence in cases where the defendant has a history of negligence for the same issue.
Economic damages cover tangible losses with a determinable value through bills, receipts, or invoices. These could include medical expenses, travel expenses to and from appointments, physical or occupational therapy, and lost wages due to time away from work.
Non-economic damages cover intangible losses, including pain and suffering, emotional distress, mental anguish, loss of quality of life, and other indirect losses stemming from your initial injury. Your attorney can help you calculate a fair value for your non-economic damages.
Where Do Premises Liability Injuries Occur in Brooklyn?
If a property owner fails to maintain a safe space for customers, visitors, and passersby to traverse and is liable for that space, said owner may be subject to a premises liability lawsuit. Examples include:
- A grocery store manager failing to clean up a product spill in a timely manner
- A business owner failing to address built-up snow on the sidewalk in front of their business
- A property management company failing to fix a broken stair in an apartment building
- A homeowner failing to fix a fence and allowing their dog to escape and bite someone on the sidewalk in front of the home
What To Do If You Were Injured on Someone Else’s Property in Brooklyn
If you suffer an injury on someone’s property, you must gather evidence at the scene before the potentially liable party has time to address the issue. Follow these steps to help preserve your claim:
- Take pictures of any visible injuries and the accident scene
- Get treatment for any injuries as soon as possible
- Get contact and insurance information from the business owner, homeowner, or other liable party responsible for maintaining the property
- Contact us at Ross & Hill to schedule a free consultation with our Brooklyn premises liability lawyers
- File a claim with the appropriate insurance company or a notice of claim with the proper government office (if a government entity is liable for your accident)
Common Causes of Premises Liability Claims in Brooklyn
Premises liability claims may arise for any of several reasons, including:
- Failing to clean up spills or place signs to warn of hazards
- Neglecting to fix broken stairs or flooring
- Failing to install appropriate security measures to keep people out of dangerous areas
- Neglecting to clear snow or ice from designated walkways in front of a business
- Failing to maintain safe conditions in case of fire or flood
Common Injuries in Premises Liability Claims
Depending on the type of accident, your injuries could include:
- Bruises, cuts, and scrapes
- Strained or sprained ankles or wrists
- Joint dislocations
- Broken bones
- Spine injuries
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
Brooklyn Premises Liability Resources
Contact a Brooklyn Premises Liability Attorney With Our Firm
Frequently Asked Questions
For questions about premises liability, check out our frequently asked questions below.
If you get injured inside a business or on the sidewalk in front of a business, it is likely that the business owner or the on-duty manager is responsible for maintaining that area to keep it safe for customers.
When accidents happen, most property owners fix the issue as quickly as possible to prevent further injuries, making it difficult for victims to prove there was an issue that caused their accident. The liable party’s insurance company may then deny there was ever a problem and claim you fell through no fault of their policyholder.