Brooklyn Slip and Fall Lawyers
Approximately one out of five falls leads to serious injuries that require a visit to the emergency room or a doctor’s office, including head injuries, broken bones, and soft tissue injuries. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, contact our Brooklyn slip and fall lawyers for more information about your options.
At Ross & Hill, our slip and fall lawyers in Brooklyn, NY, have been practicing personal injury law for nearly 40 years. Contact us today to review your slip and fall accident case with a free consultation.
How Our Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers Help After an Injury
When you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, it might seem overwhelming to speak with a law firm to find the right slip and fall lawyers in Brooklyn for your case. How can we help manage your case at Ross & Hill? Our experienced slip and fall lawyers can:
- Calculate a fair value for your economic and non-economic damages.
- Gather evidence for your claim, including medical records, expert witness testimony, and historical evidence from the accident scene.
- Give you experienced legal advice for your case.
- File all appropriate forms and documents with the court for your case.
- Negotiate a settlement out of court.
- Build a case to prove negligence by the defendant.
We also offer a 100% free consultation and work on contingency, meaning we only take our fee out of the final settlement award. You won’t pay anything out of pocket for our services.
What Compensation Is Available for Victims After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Your slip and fall injuries have cost you medical expenses, time off from work, and a reduced capacity to do things you once enjoyed. These are real losses that your Brooklyn slip and fall attorney can help you attribute to your accident to pursue fair compensation.
Compensation in personal injury cases includes economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages describe damages available for tangible losses, including medical bills, travel expenses to get to and from appointments, lost wages, and other calculable expenses and losses.
Non-economic damages will compensate your intangible losses, including pain and suffering, diminished quality of life, and emotional distress. The court may also award punitive damages (additional damages meant to punish the defendant) in cases where multiple people have slipped and fallen in the same place due to the property owner’s wanton negligence.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur in Brooklyn?
Many areas can pose an increased risk of slipping and falling in Brooklyn, including:
- Stores where products can spill and create a slipping hazard
- Business entryways during inclement weather where shoppers can track water or snow through the door on their shoes
- Icy conditions making sidewalks and other surfaces too slippery to walk safely
- Construction sites and work areas as buildings undergo constant renovation
What To Do After a Slip and Fall in Brooklyn
If you slip and fall, the following are some steps you should take after your accident:
- Exchange information with the property owner, business owner, or on-duty manager
- Take pictures of the scene and any visible injuries
- Get treatment for any injuries as soon as possible
- Contact one of our Brooklyn slip and fall lawyers
- File a claim with the appropriate insurance company
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents in Brooklyn?
Slips and falls account for over three million emergency room visits annually among older Americans nationwide. Of those, over 800,000 face hospitalization for serious injuries, usually a hip fracture or head injury.
Slips and falls at work are one of OSHA’s “Focus Four” and constitute the leading cause of lost days from work. There were 850 fatalities from falls in the workplace in 2021, with the construction and extraction occupations accounting for 370 of the total. Additionally, New York State and New York City have a higher fatality rate in the construction industry than the national average.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Typical slip and fall injuries often include:
- Broken bones (including hips, wrists, and arms)
- Strained or sprained ankles or wrists
- Bruises, cuts, and scrapes
- Joint dislocations
- Spine injuries
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
If you experience any of these injuries after a fall, contact a Brooklyn slip and fall lawyer from our law firm at Ross & Hill.
Brooklyn Slip and Fall Resources
You probably need additional information about your options moving forward after an injury in a slip and fall accident case. Check out some of these resources for more information:
- Stopping Elderly Accidents, Deaths & Injuries (STEADI) Tool Kit for Health Care Providers
- Falls Prevention for Professionals
- Check for Safety: A Home Fall Prevention Checklist for Older Adults
- Older Adults: Stay Steady, Stay Strong
- Fall Injuries in Older Adults
- Prevention Agenda
- Patient and Caregiver Resources
- All Deaths, Hospitalizations, and Emergency Department Visits
Incidence by County Statistics:
Contact Our Slip and Fall Lawyers in Brooklyn, NY
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information about slip and fall cases in Brooklyn, check out our answers to frequently asked questions below.
In most instances, homeowner’s or business insurance will cover your costs if you slip and fall on someone else’s property and get hurt. However, insurance companies don’t like to pay claims, so you may need to follow through with legal action to reach a settlement.
The plaintiff has the burden of proof to present their case for the property or business owner’s negligence in court. Your attorney can gather evidence, file your claim with the court, and build an argument to demonstrate the defendant’s negligence.