Manhattan Slip & Fall Lawyers
Property owners have a duty to keep their premises safe from dangerous conditions. If you suffer a slip, trip, or fall because someone fails to uphold a reasonable level of safety, you could recover financial compensation for your injuries and other expenses.
The slip and fall lawyers at Ross & Hill can help you develop your case and fight for fair compensation. Don’t leave the outcome of your case to chance. Contact an experienced slip and fall attorney in Manhattan today.
How Our Slip & Fall Lawyers Help After an Injury
Proving fault in slip and fall cases can be challenging. The bustling atmosphere of Manhattan may make it difficult to gather evidence or prove a dangerous condition existed that led to the incident.
At Ross & Hill, our Manhattan slip & fall lawyers advocate for clients by negotiating with insurance companies and working to achieve the best financial outcome.
What Compensation is Available for Victims After a Slip & Fall?
Different compensation may be available, including the following:
- Medical expenses
- Ongoing medical treatment
- Cost of rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Future lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Reduced quality of life
- Other compensation
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Occur in Manhattan?
Slip and fall accidents can happen literally anywhere in Manhattan – from a crowded restaurant to a friend’s party. This list includes areas that leave people susceptible to injury:
- Sidewalks: NYC is home to over 12,000 miles of sidewalk.
- Apartment buildings: This includes the lobbies and the inside of apartments.
- Retail establishments: Department stores and grocery stores are ripe for injury.
- Hotels and restaurants: Heavy foot traffic and spills can be a dangerous combination.
- Subway stations: Obstacles, debris, and poorly maintained surfaces are accidents waiting to happen.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall in Manhattan?
The following steps are crucial for any slip and fall case in Manhattan.
- Get medical assistance. Your health is a top priority. You might think your injury was minor, but it’s not uncommon for injuries to manifest themselves weeks or months after trips and falls. By delaying a visit to the doctor, you risk compromising both your health and your case.
- Gather evidence. Take as many pictures as possible, including those of the scene and surrounding areas, the condition that led to your fall, and your injuries.
- File a complaint with the property owner. The moments after a slip and fall injury are vital in preserving your case for insurance companies or a potential lawsuit. Documentation of the incident can be used as evidence to help prove your case.
- Get witness statements. Canvass the area for anyone who saw what happened. Ask for them to relay their story and get their contact information.
How Common Are Slip & Fall Accidents in Manhattan?
Slip and fall accidents are more common than you might think in Manhattan. Crowded sidewalks and public areas, extreme weather, and the steady pace of construction projects present no shortage of hazards for residents.
Therefore, it’s no surprise that 8 million hospital emergency room visits are attributed to slip and fall accidents. Further, according to the CDC, in age groups between 0 and 14 years and 25 years and older, falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
While a bruised ego and hurt pride are common side effects of slip and fall injuries, physical injuries are also common and much more serious. Even a relatively minor fall can take months to fully heal.
Common slip and fall injuries that accident victims suffer from include:
- Head and neck injuries
- Back and spinal injuries
- Broken bones (including hip injuries)
- Bruises and abrasions
- Organ damage
Manhattan Slip and Fall Resources
It’s important to get the help and support you need while recovering from a slip and fall injury and preventing future painful incidences. The following list of resources can be a helpful guide:
- National Floor Safety Institute: Here, you’ll find information and statistics about slip and fall injuries, including supporting data. There’s also a link to report your fall to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Pain and Suffering Calculator: Forbes provides a tool that calculates an estimate of how much the pain and suffering portion of your slip and fall case could be worth before speaking with an attorney.
- Fall Prevention Foundation: Get free resources to help prevent falls in loved ones, especially the elderly.
Contact an Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer in Manhattan
In addition to seeing a doctor, gathering evidence, and reporting your injury, it’s also vital to contact an attorney to determine who is liable for the injury and how to negotiate with the insurance company. The slip and fall lawyers at Ross & Hill can help you begin the claims process. Contact our law firm for a free consultation.
The moments after an injury are vital. We encourage you to contact an attorney for a slip and fall accident immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
The available compensation for a slip and fall accident claim will vary. It depends on the circumstances of the incident, the level of negligence of the property owner, the extent of your injury, and the financial losses that occurred as a result of the fall.
If your employer has workers’ compensation insurance, this insurance policy will likely be on the hook for your expenses. However, workers’ compensation benefits do not pay for pain and suffering. If you have significant injuries that warrant financial compensation for pain and suffering, a third party could also be liable for damages.
There is no law that requires you to contact an attorney. However, many clients find it extremely advantageous to work with an attorney. Most attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to pay attorneys’ fees upfront.
Further, according to the Insurance Research Council, people with legal representation recover an average of 3.5 times more money than those without an attorney in personal injury cases.