I Had a Slip and Fall in My Friends House, What Should I Do?

Building Stairs Feature image of Blog article describing what to do after being injured in a fall at a friends house

If you have a slip and fall injury in a friend’s or family members home, it can be hard to know what to do. It is difficult to deal with the idea that you may need to hold your friend or family member accountable. After all, they are people close to you. However, you were invited into their home and then you had an injury from an accident. You may need medical treatment and you may be out of work because of the accident. That is just a fact of life after an injury. The good news is there are legal ways to deal with this where you can still receive the financial compensation for your loss of income and pain and suffering that will not adversely affect the people you care about.

People that are injured in public places can claim damages for the property owner’s negligence. If you were injured in a public place like a restaurant or store, the owner of the property could be liable for your injury and you can seek compensation for your injuries. You would not think twice about blaming them. They have insurance to deal with these problems. You are not holding them personally financially responsible. You are not going to receive compensation from the property owner, you will receive compensation from their insurance company. It is the same if you slip and fall in someone’s home. Wherever you have a slip and fall injury, you should know a few things first before you speak with any insurance adjuster or an insurance company. Don’t take their word for it, you should consult with a qualified personal injury attorney that specializes in slip-and-fall injuries first.

What are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents on a Property?

There are thousands of slip and fall injuries that happen each day in New York City. If you need to get compensation, negligence needs to be established if you were injured through no fault of your own. Everyone is careless sometimes. We are human and no one is perfect. Most of the time, the carelessness is harmless and these mistakes are meaningless. However, when someone is hurt or injured by these mistakes, in legal terms that is called negligence.

Many common things that could cause a slip and fall are:

  • Uneven or slippery stairs
  • Problems with floorboards, carpeting, or tile
  • Ice, snow, or mud
  • Spills, tracked liquids, or other substances
  • Recently mopped or waxed floors
  • Items in the walkway or on the floor
  • Broken or uneven sidewalks
  • Problems with asphalt or drainage in parking lots

You Will Need to Make a Claim Against the Homeowner’s Insurance Company

Personal injury claims against insured homeowners proceed exactly like claims against any insured person or business. Once the claim is reported to the insurer, the company assigns an insurance adjuster to the case. The adjuster will contact the homeowner to get their story on what happened, and then will contact you, the injured person to get your side of the story.

The adjuster may ask you to give a recorded statement about what happened. You should consult with a personal injury attorney before you give a statement. The adjuster might try to convince you otherwise and tell you to give the statement anyway. Whatever they say, an unrepresented personal injury victim should not give recorded statements to insurance adjusters. They are professionals on the side of the insurance company and  you should have a legal professional on your side to consult with. You should consult with a professional attorney so you know your rights.

 A Qualified Slip and Fall LawyerCan Help You Understand Your Legal Rights

You didn’t plan on having an accident on someone else’s property, but if you have been injured then you will need our best slip and fall lawyers at Ross and Hill to guide you in how to plan for your claim. There will be evidence that must be found and documents that must be filed in a timely manner for your claim to have the best outcome. Don’t hesitate to call so we can get the process started for you. If you are in New York City and you need to file a claim against an insurance company for a slip and fall injury or any other personal injury you should contact the Law Offices of Ross & Hill. They have been representing personal injury victims for over 40 years and they can help you. They have two convenient locations in Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan.

About The Author

Let us know how we can help you.

Fill out the form to send us a message.